Thursday, August 23, 2012

Who am I?

Who am I?

     I stroll through my life one day at a time, and spend a few minutes here and there thinking about the past, and what the future has in store for me. The past few weeks, Dr. English has given us multiple different assignments to help us answer the first of our three blog questions: Who am i?

^My Deep map^
     Our first project was this here fancy shmancy deep map. Although most people's maps were quite elegant and elaborate, mine was more simple, plain, and down to earth. I like to think that my map shows that I'm more of a logical thinker than a creative artist. My deep map may look like a bunch of random quotes, but i divided them into five different categories, or puzzle pieces, if you will, that can help you piece together how they describe my personality. Each quote reveals a little bit of how I think, and the beliefs I hold. I look for loyal friends, not fair-weather acquaintances. I value logic, reasoning, and intelligence very highly, and my dream for the world is that one day, everyone will be ambitious enough to learn as much as they can. My morals are based on what I believe are important. I do not live by a book or stories that have been passed down. I base my actions what I believe to be the right thing to do. The career I seek, which happens to be in the field of medicine,  is heavily considered a position of nontraditional leadership, most doctors help their community out in various ways, setting examples for other professionals. The second quote under the career piece talks about enjoying your line of work, and because I enjoy anything related to science, I hope I will enjoy a career in the medical field. The final piece, Future, contains my favorite quote from Mark Twain. After reading it, I really started to think about my future, and how I can make a difference. I only have one chance to help the human race and make the world a better place, I better not screw it up. It also made me think deeper into my afterlife. To me, afterlife is your reputation that follows your name after you die, not some happy place with lots of virgins or flying people holding harps. It made me think about what I'm going to do to ensure an afterlife for myself, what I can do to make myself known and stay in existence after my time expires.


Swing Life Away - Rise Against


Our second assignment was to create a life soundtrack. The life soundtrack was 10 songs that we can relate to in some way, and the song at the top of my list was Swing Life Away. I chose this song because of the overall mood, and the fact that Rise Against is my all time favorite band. To me, this song expresses how you don't need any spectacular recognition, a high ranking job, or a nice car to go through life happily. I could swing my life away with someone I loved, even if i lived off of minimum wage. I have plans for myself, big plans. However, I would make the most of my life if my plans turned out to be far more than I could handle. My other 9 songs show various other views of my personality. Five of my ten songs talk about how flawed our nation is in one way or another, which symbolizes that half of everything that goes through my head is a complaint about how disappointed I am in the nation or the world as a whole, and also demonstrates how I perceive certain aspects of my life. It also shows I'm not the most optimistic person you'll meet, so it's a good thing I don't claim to be one. The final four songs all relate to how I interact with the people in my life, and my reactions to what they have to say to me.



^Family Artifact^



      Well, for the record, this picture was ripped off from Google images, but that's not important. What is important, is that for every holiday get together I have with my mother's side of the family, my grandmother ALWAYS brings apple pie. So I thought it would be an appropriate artifact to use for our third assignment: examination of a family tradition. Unfortunately, grandma didn't have any fresh baked pies in the vicinity, which is where Google came into play. I'm not quite sure how this affects me as a person, or how it helps explain who I am, but I had to incorporate a picture in some way to adhere to the Dr. English protocol of blog posting. Mission Accomplished.



1 comment:

  1. Nate,

    Your blog protocol is astute. I also greatly appreciate your logical mind. It is always nice to have an intellectual in one's classroom. Sometimes, I think this happens few and far between. I adore science and reasoning myself and rely on my own conscience more than anything else. My most difficult moments in life are when I cannot grasp the meaning of a thing.

    So, I totally appreciate your divergent point of view. It's refreshing.

    Your words of wisdom are classic.

    ReplyDelete